I’m spring cleaning today…went from the kitchen to the bathroom, to the laundry room….I know that I should stick in one place instead of going from place to place, but it’s spring and I’m giddy for the warmer weather. I can actually see grass in my yard this morning….still waiting for the first robin.
At our house we like to clean using eco-friendly natural products…I like to make my own. Again, these things are basic and simple and work great…and I feel like I’m taking good care of my family because there is no toxic residue.
So between making soap, blogging, painting my living room, and running with my family… I have big ambitions to clean this old farm house from top to bottom. I decided to make myself a list…and stick to it. At least for a while…I’m going to recruit my boys to clean the clutter, then I’ll do the deep cleaning.
Somehow cleaning the house in the Spring feels like a mental cleaning and dismissing of winter as well….
So here’s my list:
- Wipe down windowsills and baseboards
- Dust ceiling fans
- Remove marks from walls- touch up with paint if needed
- Wipe down doors, clean handles & mouldings
- Wash, iron and re-hang curtains.
- Dust picture frames and wall hangings
- Dust lamp shades
- Dust plants
- Steam clean carpets
- Wash out wastebaskets
- Change batteries in smoke detectors
- Wipe down and clean under, between and tops of washer and dryer
- Clean and wipe down refrigerator
- Clean inside and outside of stove
- Clean Microwave (I head vinegar water for 1 minute – let it sit and wipe it out).
- Clean and defrost freezer
- Wipe down cupboards inside and out
- Wash or dryclean quilts/comforters
- Organize closets – sort and take some clothes to charity
- Cleann up the Grill
- Clean up the flower beds
- Rake the remaining leaves
- Power wash the driveway
- Power wash the garbage cans
- Clean windows outside
- Straighten and sweep the garage
- Clean out, wipe down and vacuum
- Take to the car wash
Now that I have a list, the task seems almost impossible…but once the sun somes out I seem to get a burst of energy that keeps me going. The reward from a neat and tidy, fresh smelling home is motivating as well.
A few other thoughts….tuck lavender sachets in drawers and closets…I like to keep on in my kitchen towel drawer. Scent your vacuum bag with a little essential oil (keeps the dirty, dusty smell at bay)…and put out a bouquet of fresh flowers. Nothing says spring like daffodils or tulips!
Our lavender laundry sachets come in